Last Wednesday I gave a talk on worship to the kiddos at Brookside. They requested that I post this list of questions somewhere public. I thought I was done with the blog… but this is the best place to make these public… here you go.
“Sin isn’t only doing bad things, it is more fundamentally making good things into ultimate things. Sin is building your life and meaning on anything, even a very good thing, more than on God. Whatever we build our life on will drive us and enslave us. Sin is primarily idolatry.” – Tim Keller
Questions for helping you find out what you make into “ultimate things (Yes, I totally got this idea from Tim Keller as well):
- What are you most afraid of?
- What gets you really excited?
- Where do you run when upset? (Or, what makes you feel better when angry/sad/bored?)
- What do you complain about most?
- What angers you most?
- What makes you the most happy?
- How do you define yourself when talking to people?
- What has causes you to be “angry” with God? (Or, what causes you to think that God does not care/love about you?)
- What do you brag about?
- What one thing do you want to accomplish?
- What do you sacrifice for?
- What do you spend your money on?
- If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?
- Who’s approval are you seeking? Is it anyone other than Jesus?
- What comfort(s) do you treasure the most?
- What do you “day dream” about?
- When are you most bored? (Or, What do you think of doing when you are bored?)
- What makes you feel cool?
- What makes you feel like your ugly?
- What do you think you have to have to “fit in?”
- What makes you most upset if it is taken away?
- What makes you act differently?
- What if you get it makes you a joy to be around?
- What if it is taken away makes you a burden to be around?